Friday, July 10, 2009

In the Works


This is my latest work in progress, the Scrappy Bargello from Quiltville.com. As soon as I finish writing this I'm going to dice up the tunnel and sew together the third quarter. The strips for the fourth quarter are awaiting my pleasure. This is a fun way to use up those scraps that have been around for ages. (And they keep multiplying at a rapid rate. What do they do when the lights go out?)
Here's the recipe for the Spice Cake I made for our guild picnic. I found the recipe in the May 1979 Yankee Magazine.
Spice Cake
Mix in a saucepan (at least 4 quart one)
2 cups sugar
2 teasp. cinnamon
2 teasp. nutmeg (I grind mine)
2 teasp. ground cloves
2 teasp. baking soda
1 teasp. salt
Add:
2 cups raisins
2 cups cold water
2 sticks butter
Cook until bubbles appear on top. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Add all at once:
4 cups sifted flour
1 cup nut meats, if desired
Mix and pour into 13" x 9" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes.

I like a cream cheese frosting on top.

Enjoy!
Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home