Saturday, March 21, 2009

National Quilting Day

Today is National Quilting Day. Chenango Piecemakers Guild members spent the day at a Sew In. Some worked on donation quilts and other pursued their own projects. Some members had a chance to demonstrate new ideas to the others.
I cut several more octagon tops for hot pads and table toppers, showing the folding process to make the octagon. Rosalie showed how she made her folded purses. Martha and Elaine showed how they made potholders. There were lots of new ideas to try. Mary showed a beautiful old diamond star quilt she had repaired. Kim showed us how to make Easter eggs using styrofoam eggs and fabric. Janice was working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden in reproduction fabrics. Our other Martha was hand quilting a small piece with her beautiful tiny stitches. The first baby quilt was displayed.
The guild makes a quilt for the first baby born on National Quilting Day at Chenango Memorial Hospital.
During the afternoon I slipped out to Sew Nice, a quilt shop in Norwich. Diane and Flora had the foundation paper I wanted and some lovely fat quarters that asked to go home with me. I was given a pattern in honor of National Quilting Day. It is a house in the center of a star. I'm anxious to try it. I think it would make a great pillow top.
Somehow today I once again realized how bad my math is. Octagons have eight sides. Hexagons have six sides. When I call triangles squares it will be time to hang up my rotary cutter. I've been calling those eight sided table toppers hexagons. Very kindly nobody corrected me. My math and my proofreading skills are about equal....zilch.
It was a cool but sunny day for a drive to Norwich and back home. It was a day spent quilting with friends. It doesn't get any better than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home