Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hot Chicken Salad recipe

This sign is over the doorway in my kitchen.

Batty/Liz, a quilt chat friend, asked me to put the Hot Chicken Salad recipe on my blog. The recipe comes from Dorothea Benton Frank's book The Christmas Pearl.

Frances Mae's Hot Chicken Salad for Twenty
10 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
10 cups chopped celery
1 #2 can ripe olives, sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced, including stems
5 cups sharp cheese, grated
8 ounces sour cream (may use low fat type)
8 ounces mayonnaise (don't use low fat type if you used low fat sour cream)
salt & pepper to taste
lemon juice to taste

Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl, with about half the cheese. Stir the sour cream and mayonnaise together, add lemon juice, then seasonings. Add mixture to other ingredients. Put into 2 greased 2 quart casserole dishes. Top with remaining cheese and some bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered at 375 degrees untill bubbly. (approximately 30 minutes).
This recipe may be made the day before, storing in refrigerator.

I made about a half batch of this, using a 3.8 oz. can of ripe olives, sliced. The Campfire Girls loved it and asked for the recipe. I only used about 2 cups of chopped celery.

Back in May at my granddaughter's baby shower, we were given seeds to plant and watch grow. Mine were doing nicely, thank you, until today. I watered them and then looked again. Some four legged varmit has chewed off some of the snapdragons. Some were just topped so they will come on. Now it is time to plant the small plants in a tall pot and maybe they will bloom before frost. We have squirrels here and I did see a rabbit one time. Do I have to sit on the patio with my shotgun in hand?

I picked two more tomatoes today. BLTs for supper tonight. There are wee little cucumbers on the vines.

Chris

1 Comments:

At July 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Erzebat said...

oooooooooooo!!! that sounds yummy! I will have to cut it down for 2 people and try it! thanks for posting it (mauh) Liz your favorite dingbat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home