Saturday, September 25, 2010

Shine on Harvest Moon

Here we are nearly at end of September and trees are changing color. This hillside is behind Nimmonsburg Square and Aldi on Front Street. If there was a bit of rain the colors would be more vibrant. My friend Jean Perry did a lot of photography and said a rainy day is a good time to take foliage pictures. Over the years I've done that and got great pictures.
Hope all of you saw the Harvest Moon earlier this week. It was spectacular. My picture can't begin to do it justice.
This has been a busy week. Off to the VA at Syracuse on Monday a.m. with Bob. Back home, lunch and to library.
We had training on helping visitors to the Local History & Genealogy Center obtain the microfiche of the NYS Health Dept. Index to Vital Records for birth, deaths and marriages. These microfiche are just that, an index. They contain the person's name, date of the event and the political subdivision (city, village or town) where the event took place.
Photo identification will be required for the users. They will consult the book listing the names, like a phone book heading, write down the fiche # and give paper to the volunteer. They will be allowed 5 fiches at a time. We will have 2 microfiche readers. Time will be limited to 1 hour if others are waiting.
Our Go Live date is Monday, October 11. Yes, the library is open on Columbus Day.
I have my personal list of lookups. Hope I can work them into the available time when nobody is wanting to use the machines.
On Thursday our Red Hat group drove out to Candor to Edge of Thyme for tea. The teas and food were delicious. Edge of Thyme is a Bed and Breakfast in a beautiful old home at the edge of Candor. If you live within driving distance you might want to make a reservation for tea someday. I bought a cookbook written by Eva Musgrave, one of the proprietors. Mrs. Musgrave served us cucumber sandwiches, "properly made." The receipe is in the book as well as many other delightful recipes.
After tea Fran and I stopped at Puckey Huddle Delight, a quilt shop on the Rt. 96 truck route around the edge of Candor. Of course I found some fabrics I needed to bring home and several notions I needed. Of course I need that fabric, I don't have it.
In between going places and doing things I started emptying some boxes that haven't been opened since we moved here in February 2008. Off to the dumpster with most of the stuff.
The other day I had an email from Sally Chirlin of Norwich asking about the Mary Ann Tripp and Joseph A. Hamilton genealogy. Jean Perry and myself worked on this about twenty years ago. Of course most of the material isn't here but I remembered quite a bit. Now to get my family group sheets of the Hamiltons and send material to her.
It's been an interesting week. Needless to say, I am never bored. And I did squeeze in some machine quilting.
Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home