Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Good Read

I'd give this book a 10. The South in the 1960s, segregation, Klu Klux Klan, all told thru the eyes of a young girl. After CBS was at our library's Local History and Genealogy Center recently to do research on William Moore, this book was especially pertinent. It kept me on the edge of my chair until I finished it.
My friend Jackey asked for this recipe that we made for Thanksgiving Dinner. I found it in the latest issue (November 2010) of Southern Living.
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 tsp. sale
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 (1/8 inch thick pancetta slices (I used bacon)
1 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss together Brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt & pepper in a 15x10" jelly roll pan. (I used a cookie sheet w/sides.) Bake 17 to 20 minutes or until sprouts are tender and edges are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile cook pancetta (or bacon) until crisp. Drain of paper towels. Crumble pancetta or bacon.
Remove sprouts from oven and place in serving dish. Top with cheese and crumbled pancetta.
Enjoy. We had no leftovers. Jack finished them.
I'm finally finished with the little fabric basket. Sue McD sent me the directions after she tantalized me with hers since she came home from Florida last spring. She sent the directions and left town the next day. Hope she brings home some great ideas next April. Gonna miss her.
Picture in next post on blog.
I received an email that one of our guild members, Carolyn Tirpok, broke her hip, was at Upstate and returned home on Friday. Hope she continues to recover rapidly.
Mickey and I made our traditional Black Friday trip to Skaneateles on Friday, stopping at Patchwork Plus where I chatted with Kitsie D. I bought some pinwheel fabric in red, white and blue. This will be great for a Quilt of Valor. Then on to Skaneateles where we shopped, enjoyed lunch at Blue Water and saw the parade of the Dickens costumed people. We enjoyed the musicians on the main street (Route 20) and finally stopped at the Green Mountain shop for Chai tea and coffee before returning home.
Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home